Friday, March 15, 2013

Modifications to sUAS Vehicle Element (FPVRaptor)

I spent an hour making some modifications to the FPVRaptor that should make my life easier as this project develops.
First, I removed the two strips of reinforced tape from the bottom of the wings that covered the servo cabling. I used EPO foam safe CA glue to join the wing and wing cover. I also applied a significant amount of clear packing tape to the leading edges, over the servos, along the center length of the top and bottom of the wing, along the flaps joint, the trailing edges, the edge of the flaps and ailerons, and around the center (wing joint). Adding the tape should provide additional (minor) structural integrity and protect the foam from nicks and cuts (see shine on the wing in the image to the left).

I also decided to removed the wing mounting screws after one of the retaining nuts came loose. I opted to replace the screws with a combination of rubber banding and velcro (non-structural). This should allow me to remove the wing, without the hassle of dealing with the screws (very prone to stripping and boring out the head of the screw). This attachment method should also help to quickly separate the wing and body in the event of a crash, reducing the potential for structural damage. The velcro attachment points were mated at the fusalage opening (see image to the right).
I also added four bolts and nuts to serve as the attachment anchors for the rubber bands. I bored out four holes, added a nut on the inside for each, another on the exterior, and applied a liberal portion of glue to both the nuts and bolt to keep them in place. The strength of the plastic fuselage made this mounting method possible. If the fuselage would have been EPO foam, I would have had to use another bracing method such wooden dowels. The result of this modification can be seen in the image to the left.
I'm happy with the overall ease of these modifications and hope they simplify future use, maintenance, and upgrades on this airframe. The image to the right depicts the finished product. On a side note, this platform is really big and roomy, which should accomodate the research and control gear I plan to install. You can judge size (1.6M wingspan) against my dining room table (six-person).

No comments:

Post a Comment