Monday, March 25, 2013

GCS for EAGLE-FW/RW sUAS

This weekend I started construction of a portable, self-contained, ground control station (GCS) for my supervisory sUAS control research project (see pictures). I was able to locate an affordable case from Harbor Freight ($29), which makes a great platform for housing all of the other control components. With the application of some velcro, I was able to create removable attachment points for the control transmission (TX; e.g., 2.4Ghz and 900 Mhz Xbees) and video receiver (RX; 5.8Ghz) gear. I was also able to incorporate two 7" LCD monitors that I had lying around. My next step will be creating some removable mounts for the left and right hand sides of the case, where I plan to mount the HOTAS joystick and throttle. I would also like to tie all of the power cabling into a single point (i.e., surge protector) for protection and to bring all of the cables down to a common point (single power cable). If I have the time, I would also like to add in a SD card digital video recorder (DVR; output connected to second monitor), several momentary and single-throw switches/buttons, and a common sound system (headphones and speaker playback). I will be posting further updates as I add more improvements and capabilities to this base design, so check back often.





No comments:

Post a Comment