Sunday, February 24, 2013

sUAS Platform - Ground Testing Successful

My initial series of ground tests for the small unmanned aerial system (sUAS) research were highly successful.

Stage 1 - Control Servos Response Testing
For this stage, I was able to confirm elimination of the previously observed servo response jitter/stutter and improve timing by switching to the Pololu serial servo protocol. The difference in performance between Pololu and MiniSSC was remarkably different (see the following video):



Stage 2 - Powerplant/Tail Rotor Testing
For this stage, I was able to confirm proper response of the electronic speed control (ESC), brushless motor, gyroscope, and tail rotor. To improve safety, I removed the main blades and left the flybar paddles in place (see the following video):


Stage 3 - Integrated Controls and Powerplant
For this final stage, I was able to confirm successful integration of all the controls and the availability of sufficient power for operation. I connected all controls, applied maximum/minimum control limits (5% for cyclic pitch/roll, 50% for throttle/collective pitch, and 25% for tail rotor), connected power, and interfaced with PC control (i.e., ground control station [GCS]; see the following video):


After wrapping the final video I did achieve a brief airborne hop with a slight adjustment to the collective pitch limit (increased to approximately 60% of available movement, no throttle change was necessary). I am highly confident at this stage that the platform is ready for aerial testing activities and will fly with the increased weight of the custom developed landing gear. However, before I initiate aerial testing I will need to confirm the weight and balance (i.e., center of gravity [CG]) of the sUAS. Check back soon for more updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment